Blueberry Turmeric Muffins recipe
makes 6 muffins
These muffins are a variation on my Summer Squash Spice Muffins, an almond flour-based recipe made with minimal ingredients. Turmeric and ginger give them underlying spice and complexity, while blueberry and lemon provide a familiar flavor that’s not too sweet or tart. Because almond flour is dense and heavy, they won’t rise like traditional muffins, so don’t fill the cups too full.
1 cup, packed almond flour (this is finer than almond meal and will turn out better)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with 6 muffin liners.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk together with a fork.
3. Combine all wet ingredients in a different large mixing bowl. Whisk together with a fork.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, folding together with a rubber spatula until just mixed. Add in blueberries.
5. Immediately, fill muffin cups 2/3 full (you will get a lot of spread on top if you fill them fuller--this recipe won't puff up as much as traditional muffins). Bake for 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and removed with nothing sticking to it. Let cool in tin for 5 minutes then cool on rack for another 15.