This superfood turmeric smoothie comes from my friend and paleo blogger Stacey Hutson. My work day tends to be long, and I often don't get the opportunity to eat lunch until 2-3pm, making me not only a little hangry, but also feeling a little weak, tired and de-energized. Stacey made me this energizing (but caffeine-free) smoothie to help me make it to lunch and I've become obsessed! Ginger and turmeric are bursting with anti-inflammatory properties and the touch of black pepper helps your body make better use of the curcumin in turmeric. Although not proven, many people think bee pollen is energizing, although it should obviously be avoided by anyone with pollen allergies. Stacey recommends using carrot juice (straining and throwing out the pulp after blending the carrot) for a better texture.
- 1/2 cup carrot juice (blend 1 carrot with 1/2 cup filtered water and strain out pulp)
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 inch turmeric root, peeled (you can sub 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric)
- sprinkle black pepper
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1. In a blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Garnish with seeds, more bee pollen or goji berries if desired.